Thursday, November 4, 2010

Allow Me to Introduce ... Chioke Barkari!

It seems like a good time to introduce you to Chioke Barkari as she's now celebrating her first anniversary as a Hotline Advocate!

What led you to volunteer with the CRCC?
I was a women ’s studies major in college and had previous involvement working with women’s issues and organizations. I wanted to continue that involvement at home in Cleveland.

What do you enjoy most about volunteering with the CRCC?
I enjoy being able to provide any help I can offer to make someone’s experience dealing with sexual assault a little easier.

What do you find most challenging about volunteering with the CRCC?
There can be some really heavy and emotional calls. I just try to keep in mind how much I’m possibly helping just by listening to someone’s story and supporting them even if I can’t provide a concrete solution to their problem.

Do you have a favorite experience as a volunteer?
I enjoyed training a lot and meeting so many other people interested in supporting such an important cause. It’s really fun running into other volunteers from training out and about and at CRCC events like the poker festival.


Chioke (on the left) with a friend


What do you enjoy doing when you're not volunteering?
When I'm not volunteering with the hotline, I actually enjoy volunteering for other social causes. Besides that I like the usual ... watching movies, museums, reading, trying to be athletic.

If money wasn’t an issue, describe your ideal vacation.
Well, I’m sort of obsessed with shows about travel eating like No Reservations and Spain …On the Road Again. I also really loved the eating section of Eat Pray Love so my dream vacation would mostly consist of eating my way through an entire country. I’d do some site seeing and cultural stuff of course and try to meet locals but my focus would really be food. I’d love to do this in Greece. I’d take my best friend Crystal who loves eating and traveling too.

If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money?
Pay off student loans. Travel. Grad School.

What is your dream car?
A Smart Car

Favorites
Book: This changes the more I read. I love The Heidi Chronicles, it’s a play but oh well.

Movie: Pedro Almodovar films especially Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Website or blog: I like to browse a lot of vegan blogs and enjoy 101cookbooks.com.

Vacation spot: Acapulco

Meal: Dolmas

Sports team/athlete: Rafael Nadal

No comments:

Post a Comment