Thursday, May 13, 2010

Allow Me to Introduce ... Amanda Maggiotto!

To know Amanda is to love her. For those of you who have not yet had the chance to meet Amanda, allow me to introduce her ...

What led you to volunteer with the CRCC?
Sexual assault is an issue I have always had a special interest in. I was involved at John Carroll in work on sexual assault/violence there and wanted to continue my work after I graduated. I thought CRCC would be the perfect place - and I was right!

What do you enjoy most about volunteering with the CRCC?
When I feel like I have helped someone, even in a very small way. I also like being connected to other people (hotline callers and other advocates) who are interested in the same issues I am and who think about rape and sexual assault like I do.

What do you find most challenging about volunteering with the CRCC?
The hardest thing for me is not being able to "give advice". It took a lot of practice to learn how to just listen and support as opposed to trying to give someone an answer or advice. It is also hard getting off the phone with someone with things unresolved or if they are still upset. It is hard feeling powerless sometimes - I just want to solve everyone's problems.

What do you enjoy doing when you're not volunteering?
I am lucky to have a lot of friends in town and we spend a lot of time eating out, going to movies and hanging out. I really like sports -so I love to go to or watch a Cavs or Indians game. I spend a lot of time on the phone with family back home in Buffalo, including my sweet little nephews! In addition to the CRCC, I also volunteer at the Providence House (a crisis nursery) and help out with a friend's (Cullen Sweeney) campaign for judge in Cuyahoga County's Court of Common Pleas.

If you had a magic wand and 3 wishes, what would those wishes be?
1. That all my family and friends would live LONG, HAPPY, HEALTHY lives
2. I could have the magic power of being able to transport from one place to the other and/or to freeze time.
3. WORLD PEACE, of course!


If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money?
Funny you should ask - I think about what I'd do if I won the lottery a lot - have to be prepared! First, I'd pay off my student loans. Because my student loans are quite hefty, I doubt there would be any money left to do anything else! But assuming I have some cash left over, I'd then give a big chunk of cash to my family and friends. Next, I would give money to places I care a lot about like my high school, John Carroll, CRCC (of course), Providence House and my brother's business. Anything left over would go into the bank for my unborn childrens' college fund!

Favorites:
(I can never pick just one!)

Website or blog: The CRCC blog of course!!! And my brother's website http://www.citylovebuffalo.com/ sells t-shirts that promote by hometown Buffalo, NY - check it out!

Musician or group: I LOVE music so here are a few of my favs - Dixie Chicks, Coldplay, John Mayer, Ne-Yo, James Morrison, Mat Kearney, Carrie Underwood, Maroon 5, Blackstreet (oldie but goodie)

Meal: I have two favorites - Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, mashies, stuffing and gravy) and 2 eggs over medium with toast, crispy bacon and crispy home-fries.

Sports teams: Cavs

No comments:

Post a Comment