Some of us get our best ideas in the shower, but they don't usually change the course of a year of our lives. Not so for Idaho resident Drew Johnson who "had an epiphany one morning in the shower." The epiphany? To travel around the country volunteering -- one state per week for 48 weeks. Since his journey began in South Dakota, he's done everything from building houses for Habitat for Humanity to working with hospice caretakers to supporting environmental initiatives. But on his trip, which is supported by gifts from strangers, Drew is also promoting a lifestyle that focuses on "STO" -- service to others.
Check out more about Drew and his project here!
What is 48 by 48? 48 by 48 is the name of my plan to travel to the forty-eight contiguous United States in forty-eight weeks doing a variety of volunteer/service work in each state.
What's the Mission of 48by48? To lend a hand to people and organizations of all ages, backgrounds, and affiliations while promoting a “Service to Others” lifestyle.
What are the Primary Goals of 48by48?
- Travel to all 48 contiguous states in 48 weeks.
- Serve / Volunteer in each state for a minimum of 5 days or 25 hours.
- Lead by example in the “Service to Others” (STO) lifestyle.
- Connect people to local organizations and connect organizations to local people (needs).
Promote the STO lifestyle.
- Create a variety of resources to help others accomplish the STO lifestyle.
What does the “Service to Others” lifestyle look like? The identifying marks of a person who exemplifies the STO lifestyle is one who:
- Cares deeply about the needs of others.
- Actively looks for ways to serve others.
- Has a good balance of realism and creativity when helping to meet the needs of others.
- Spends ones thoughts thinking about how to see others succeed.
- Using their influence to bring about positive outcomes in the people and organizations they serve.
What an inspiration!